Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Italian Mushroom Sauce

Neither Ronnie or I are big mushrooms fans, in fact until recently I could barely eat  mushrooms. My goal for this year is to become more accustomed to mushrooms, especially their texture. I want to do this because there are so many dishes out there that just sound utterly amazing but have mushrooms, and thus at the moment I can not eat them. :( So here is my first attempt at my goal and I must say it went really well.

Ingredients:
2 Cups beef broth
2 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp of basil ( can add more if desired, also rosemerry is a good addition)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or 3-4 Tbsp crushed garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Cups white meadow mushrooms, chopped
1/4 dry white wine

Procedure

  1. Heat the broth in a sauce pan and also heat up small frying pan.
  2. In the frying pan cook the butter and flour together to produce a roux, or thickening agent. 
  3. Add the roux to the broth using a  whisk t.o combine. Let the mixture simmer  and slightly thicken. Occasionally stir to keep the consistency.
  4. Add basil and salt and pepper
  5. In the same frying pan add the oil and garlic.
  6. Sauté the mushrooms in oil, cover and let sweat.
  7. Deglaze the pan with wine and add to sauce, stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes. 
This sauce is great on a variety of dishes I poured it over angel pasta and green beans, but the uses for this sauce is endless. So other ideas are over chicken, in beef stroganoff or with any type of pastas.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good... I may have to make it for dinner tonight :)

    And I'm so proud you tried mushrooms!!!

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good.

    This is a good mushroom sauce. http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/pasta-tomato-mushroom-sauce-10000001107116/index.html

    I used one onion instead of two and increased the garlic by double. If you substitute dried herbs for fresh, don't use any conversions you find. Just do it to taste. If you do a conversion, it will be too many herbs.

    ReplyDelete